OUTDOOR EXPLORER PROGRAM
for home learners
We are excited to invite kids in grades 4, 5, and 6 to an outdoor ed-venture at Mossom Creek Hatchery and Education Centre this spring!
Held one day per week from April 6 – May 13 and May 18 – June 24, the Mossom Creek Outdoor Explorer Program provides a curriculum-based outdoor nature experience to home learners in grades 4, 5, and 6. Programs run from 10am-2pm including a half hour for lunch, and follow a COVID safety plan and are designed by certified teachers and nature experts to provide kids with unique hands-on learning opportunities in the beautiful Mossom Creek watershed. We seek to inspire youth to explore the natural world around them, to gain an understanding of the role they can play in their local ecosystem, and to provide fun and engaging activities to enhance their outdoor experiences.
Each weekly program takes place outdoors where kids can stretch their legs and their minds and develop a greater awareness of the natural world.
Questions about this program? Email us for more information.
Outdoor Explorer Program
Dates, Times and Fees
Tuesdays, from April 6 – May 11 (6 weeks) $240.00
Tuesdays, from May 18 – June 22 (6 weeks) $240.00
Thursdays, from April 8 – May 13 (6 weeks) $240.00
Thursdays, from May 20 – June 24 (6 Weeks) $240.00
Time: 10 am – 2 pm
Location: Mossom Creek Hatchery & Education Centre (located in Mossom Creek Park), Port Moody
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6
Cost: $240 for the entire 6 week program. (price is based on 6 instructional days @ $40/day).
Outdoor Explorer Program
Program delivery may vary day-to-day, but the outdoor explorer program will cover these activities throughout the year:
- Creek exploration (hatchery/salmon life-cycle)
- Creek exploration (aquatic invertebrates)
- Creek exploration (water chemistry, water cycle)
- Forest exploration (food chains, webbing, carbon cycle)
- Forest exploration (building blocks, nitrogen cycle)
- Forest exploration (animal adaptations, hibernation, migration)
- Forest exploration (Indigenous uses of plants and animals)
- Classroom (body systems of a salmon)
- Games day (ecosystem survival)
- Creek exploration (geology, glaciers, climate change)
- Hatchery day (egg retention, salmon math)
Our programs have been adjusted to address Covid-19 health and safety concerns:
- 1:8 instructor to youth ratio for small group activities
- All activities are outdoors in beautiful Mossom Creek Nature Park
- Check-in procedure that includes a wellness check
- Protocol in place to ensure all youth and instructors are practicing safe social distancing with frequent hand-washing
- All equipment or activity areas are thoroughly wiped down and sanitized after each session
- Equipment won’t be shared during sessions and each child will have their own sanitized tools to use during the day